Summer 2019 Design Goals
Can you feel it? That’s the warmth of the summer sun shining down on your face finally thawing us all out from a seemingly endless winter. While every season is wonderful, there’s nothing like summertime to put a little pep in your step. With all that extra energy and sunlight, there’s no better time than right now to create a list of summer design goals.
Grab a drink with an umbrella in it, a notebook and pen, and get ready for some sun-filled interior design inspiration.
While we know you have your own personal to-do list taped up somewhere in your home, here are some of our favorite ideas to add or start your list with:
1. Bring the outdoors in. There’s nothing like time spent outside during summer so why not bring that feeling inside? Now’s the perfect time to work plants into your interiors (fake or real, we won’t tell) or pick up a fresh bouquet at a local farmer’s market. Take it one step further by creating a room with a fresh floral feel! Check our our English Rose Design post for immediate inspiration.
2. Let the light in. Open up the doors and windows in your home to let fresh air breeze through and welcome warmth from the sun. Can’t get enough natural light? Consider adding more windows or creating your dream sunroom or screened-in porch. We’d love to help you tackle these bigger design goals.
3. Pretend you’re on vacation. Get those vacay vibes, friends! Embrace tropical prints, bright colors, and classic vacation symbols like pineapples, flamingos, palm trees, and anything that clearly states you are here to relax. You can incorporate these fun features in new bedding, festive curtains, or small decor items like trays, candles, towels, or welcome mats.
4. Determine your design style. Making a list of design goals can seem overwhelming if you’re still unsure of your overall design preferences. Fast ways to figure it out are to check out our Design Style blog post, scroll Insta for inspo, or do deeper research by enjoying longer series and books on the subject matter. Take the time to walk around shops and see what grabs your eye! Let this discovery be as fun as it’s meant to be.
5. Turn your bathroom into a hotel spa. If you’re not able to get away anytime soon, the next best thing is to bring that relaxing hotel feeling to your home. When creating a boutique hotel spa right in your own master bath, first gather products you love including sample sizes like you’d find at your fav hotel. If you’ve taken any home with you from past vacations, now’s the time to bust them out or simply source your own luxury mini-must haves. Refresh the space with a new bathmat and plush towels in crisp shades of white. Invest in a gorgeous new mirror, replace your loofa and toothbrush, and pick up a cozy robe and slippers to give you that finishing touch. You can also try to get your kiddos to bring you room services but, well, good luck with that.
6. Update your outdoor space. Let’s be honest, isn’t it time your patio, deck, or porch got a little pick-me-up? Since you’ll be using these spaces all summer long, now’s the time to invest in high-end furniture that will last through storms, sun damage, and popsicle spills. Let each individual outdoor area be it’s own room and design accordingly. Whether you opt for party vibes or a relaxing retreat is up to you, but either way we encourage you to love every section of your home and that includes the great outdoors.
7. Embrace color trends. At the start of this year, we introduced you to the 2019 Pantone Color of the Year, a super fun pink-orange shade called Living Coral. While Pantone has color ideas year-round, you can also have light bulb moments by looking around stores, seeing what’s trendy, or thinking about the summer season and discovering what colors come to mind. For example, Summertime may have you dreaming of fiesta hues like bright orange, bold pink, playful purples, and sunshine shades of yellow. Too bright for you? Consider pastel options found in the ocean such as sea foam green, teal, sky blue, sand kissed shades, or plant based greens.
8. Use the time while you have it. For many families, summertime gifts extra time when school is out or work may be on hiatus. Use that time wisely to invest in big room makeovers, getting kids involved in projects for their bedrooms, or having consultations with interior designers and/or contractors. The weather is also in your favor considering it’s much trickier to renovate when snow or freezing temperatures come into play. If renovations get too loud, relocate outside with some sweet tea, board games, or hit the pool to pass the time. It’s a tough sacrifice but someone’s got to do it.
9. Start small and stay simple. Design goals don’t have to be so major that you find yourself trying to knock down a wall or handle a bathroom renovation (pro tip: please don’t try to do either of those by yourself!). Interior design changes can be small, intentional, functional, and include a joyful experience.
Need a little extra inspiration? We highly suggest taking a trip anywhere that inspires you! May we suggest Lubbock, Texas to visit the world renowned headquarters of Home Haute Couture? We’d love to show you around our shop and work with you one-on-one to tackle every design goal you have. Unless, of course, you’d rather hit the beach, in which case we fully understand.
All photos are property of HHC Living and may not be used in any manner, edited or as-is, without written permission and credit.