Spruce Up For Spring: Cleaning & Organization Tips April 2018
April showers bring May flowers, and lots of cleaning supplies and a fresh new look to your home. Wait, isn’t that how the saying goes? Maybe it’s not the traditional cheerful spring sentiment but it’s one we like here at HHC. Spring is the perfect time to take a look at your home and determine what needs to be cleaned, what needs to be organized, and what needs to be designed to create a home that makes your heart happy. Click through to see our simple spring-cleaning and home organization tips for Spring 2018.
- De-clutter. First things first when it comes getting your home spruced up for spring. Remove any unnecessary items from every room in your home. Clear out receipts, mail, and any other papers that have stacked up, along with any other clutter you’ve created over the past year. Take your time with this step as it’s laying the foundation for the rest of your spring-cleaning. Do your best not to get distracted and focus on one room at a time, no matter how tempting it is to ditch the pots and pans parade in your kitchen to go tackle the shoe collection that’s built up in your bedroom closet.
- Donate, Toss, or Keep. As you’re removing items, create three piles of goods in each space. Throw out anything that is no longer usable, broken, covered in stains, mildew, or mold, and anything that you simply no longer need. Donate items that are still in great condition or would be appreciated by those in need. Keep what you still use often, truly love and enjoy, or any sentimental items you genuinely have the space for. Pro tip: don’t keep anything that makes you feel bad about yourself or no longer serves your highest good, such as a wedding dress from a former marriage.
- Deep Clean. Once you’ve cleared out the mess and bagged up your donations and trash, it’s time to clean! Before you run in the other direction, trust us when we say cleaning can actually be fun. It’s a chance to create a healthy space for your family, polish up items you love, and show off the home you’ve proudly created. Call us biased, but we also believe that having a well designed home that reflects your true self helps encourage a love of cleaning. After all, you want to show it off to company and relish in your beautiful home yourself. Remember to replenish any supplies you might need, toss cleaning products that have expired, and take the time to get every nook and cranny. While most of us spot clean often, doing a deep clean only happens once or twice a year so make the most of it from ceilings to base boards.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Ask your family members and close friends to help you tackle your 2018 spring-cleaning event. Offer up rewards such as a pizza night for kids, treating your best friend to a manicure, or rewarding yourself with a new book you’ve had your eye on. If organizing and cleaning your own home seems too overwhelming by yourself or with the help of loved ones, call in the professionals. Local cleaning companies, personal organizational gurus, and, of course, interior design firms like us at HHC are ready and willing to do the dirty (or clean) work for you. Outsourcing to pros can save you time, money, and a lot of frustration. If you’re needing interior design services in Lubbock, Texas or surrounding areas, we’d love to connect with you to tell you more about what we do here at HHC, and see if we might be a good fit to work together.
- Design and Decorate. Speaking of design services, take a good look at the current style in your home. Does it suit you or does it reflect your tastes from a few decades ago? What rooms leave you feeling uninspired or uninterested in spending time in that space? The design and décor you choose can influence your feelings, choices, and stress levels. Does your bedroom invoke a sense of calm, relaxation, and an inviting space to retreat to for rest? Does your kitchen feel clean, organized and spacious enough to create meals to nourish your family? Each room in your home has a purpose and by selecting décor that fulfills and encourages that purpose, you’re helping yourself and your family thrive, feel great, and spend time together. Aside from design, you may enjoy looking into Feng Shui or color charts for enhanced living ideas. For example, did you know it’s a great practice to have absolutely no electronics in your bedroom or that certain shades of green can create a soothing environment? To gather inspiration, keep an eye on our instagram or check out some of our portfolio here. If you see an item you love or want to start a conversation about working together, drop us a line on our contact page. It’s our joy to design beautiful homes for families in Texas and New Mexico, and we’d love to have you as a part of our HHC community.
- Double check. Use your home organization to make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors have new batteries and that your first aid kits are up to date. If you live in a natural disaster area, take care to pack a Go Bag for every family member and pet. Since you’re already going through important documents and items in your home, check to ensure everyone is up to date with health care visits, and that no little hands or paws can reach harmful or toxic items. While we love designing homes and creating spaces for our customers, we also want every home to be safe, functional, and secure.
- Dive in. The best advice we can give you for home organization and cleaning tips is to simply start. Pick a day, put it on your calendar, and even allow it to be fun. Yep, we said it, have fun! Enjoy the experience by turning on music, opening up windows and doors to let fresh air and sunshine in, set a timer and race yourself to beat the clock, or simply enjoy the company of those who are helping to spruce up your space.
We hope our blog on spring-cleaning and home organization for 2018 has helped inspire you. Have any questions? We’d love to hear from you! Be sure to follow our Facebook page inspiration and leave a comment with your own favorite tips. We look forward to connecting with you. Happy Spring!
All photos showcase interior design work by HHC Living. All photos are property of HHC Living and may not be used in any format without written permission.